Skip to content

Toggle service links

You are here

  1. Home
  2. Alumni
  3. Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions

Forgotten log-in details, OUCU or PI number

To log in, you need your OU Computer Username (OUCU) or your Personal Identifier (PI) number, and your password.

Your OUCU is in the format of your initials and digits (ie. abc123). Your PI is in the format of eight characters (i.e. M3456789 or R012345X).

If you can’t remember them, please contact us providing your full name and date of birth.

If you have forgotten your password, please visit and click on ‘reset your password’. Alternatively, you can contact the Computer Helpdesk on +44 (0)1908 653972.

Requests for certificates or transcripts

Academic transcript information is provided by the University in a document called the Diploma Supplement. This document is arranged to a common, pan-EU format and covers all academic qualifications at the higher education level.

So long as you have an OUCU and therefore can access OU StudentHome, you can download this document from there as a PDF file.

The Diploma Supplement will give you full details of the modules you completed in your OU studies along with the date of qualification, and you can choose to have the details expressed in terms of the levels approved in the higher education qualifications framework, that is applicable to England, Wales and Northern Ireland or to the different levels approved for the different framework (this is applicable to Scotland). 

A chart and some notes, produced by the UK’s National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC), that explains the framework can be downloaded from OU StudentHome.

If this document isn’t suitable for your needs, the qualification and ceremonies team will issue duplicate certificates for a charge of £40. You can pay over the phone or by sending a cheque. You can contact the qualification and ceremonies team on +44 (0)1908 653003. You will need to quote your PI number.

Verification of your Open University qualification

If you have been asked to obtain verification from an official OU source that confirms the successful outcome to your studies (perhaps by an employer), your request should be directed to our Verifications team. 

Contact the team with your full name, date of birth and your PI number (if possible).

Informing us if your name has changed

In order to change your name on the OU student and alumni databases, we will need formal documentary evidence of your change of name, for example a copy of your enrolled deed poll, or recorded name change if you're in Scotland, or marriage certificate.

You should send a copy, please do not send originals, quoting your Personal Identifier (PI) number by email or send by post to:

Student Registration & Enquiry Service
The Open University
PO Box 197
Milton Keynes
United Kingdom

Anything else?

If you have a question not covered here, please contact us.