Delivering transformational, high quality business and management education, The Open University Business School (OUBS) has a global reputation as a leading provider of qualifications, executive education and informal learning; supporting individuals and organisations through open access, digital and blended learning.
I chose the OU Business School because of its reputation, triple accredited status and flexibility.
Gillian Hannon Read more
With over 30 years’ experience, OUBS enables talented people to reach their full potential, and businesses to make the most of their staff. A truly international business school, we are rated ‘excellent’ (the highest possible rating) by the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) for teaching and support, and are among the largest business schools in the world to be triple-accredited.
- More than 19,000 students are studying with us in over 80 countries round the world, with almost 390 tutors supporting them
- We have a global network of more than 100,000 alumni, including over 25,000 MBA graduates
- Our curriculum is internationally relevant, created and taught by academics with industry insight and experience, and underpinned by research that achieves global impact
OUBS is one of an elite group to have earned AACSB, AMBA and EQUIS accreditation* – awarded by the world’s leading international management education associations to fewer than 1% of business schools globally.
*the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), the Association of MBAs (AMBA) and EFMD Quality Improvement System (EQUIS).
Financial Times Online MBA Rankings
We recognise the value that is placed on rankings as a way of understanding the merits of different MBAs, and participated in the Financial Times (FT) online MBA ranking when it was launched in 2014 and placed 13th. However, after reviewing the methodology, we felt that the current criteria does not allow us to fully reflect the quality of our supported online and practice-based learning experience. For this reason, we have not particpated since.
- Shortlisted for the Times Higher Education ‘Business School of the Year’ award, 2013, 2014, 2016 and 2017
- Five finalists and two winners in the international AMBA ‘Student of the Year’ awards
- Shortlisted for the Association of MBAs (AMBA) Innovation Award 2015
- Winner of two industry awards for our MBA Business Case Builder online tool (helps prospective students create a compelling business case for employer sponsorship): Gold in the annual Heist Awards ‘Best use of innovation and creative thinking’ category) and Silver in the CASE Circle of Excellence Awards (‘Individual sub-websites’ category)
- OUBS featured in AACSB's Innovations That Inspire for significant investment in free online learning resources in 2016
- Winner of the Business Partnership category at the Guardian University Awards 2017 for our collaboration with financial services company True Potential LLP
- One winner in the international AASCB Influential Leader awards in 2019
We are one of only three UK business schools to be a member of the Global Business School Network (GBSN) – a network of 100 business schools on six continents working to strengthen management education in the developing world. The goal of GBSN is to implement capacity building programmes that advance management education, creating long-term impact on development.
Since 2011, we have also taken an active role and are an Advanced Signatory to the Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME). This is a United Nations-supported initiative founded in 2007 as a platform to raise the profile of sustainability in schools around the world, and to equip today's business students with the understanding and ability to deliver change tomorrow.
We work with a number of influential professional bodies and international partners to ensure that our curriculum meets the needs of students and employers in the UK and worldwide.
- Institute of Directors and CMI (Chartered Management Institute) – OUBS alumni have the opportunity to join these professional membership organisations and take advantage of special deals at discounted rates. We have also collaborated with CMI to develop the free course Management and Leadership, which earns successful students a CMI Level 5 Award – the first step to Chartered Manager status.
- CIPD (Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development) – our MSc in Human Resources Management is approved by the CIPD, and students can achieve membership after successfully completing the diploma stage of this qualification.
- CFA Institute – Our MSc in Finance has been accepted into the CFA Institute University Recognition Program – demonstrating that the MSc incorporates at least 70% of the CFA Program Candidate Body of Knowledge (CBOK) and prepares them to sit for the CFA exams.
- Accountancy bodies – our links with the Association of Certified Accountants, the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants and the Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy ensure synergy between their examination programmes and our own. Students who complete the Certificate in Accounting are therefore exempt from some of their professional examinations.
- IIM Link Russia – we have been offering courses in Russia for twenty years in partnership with International Institute of Management Link (IIM LINK), enabling thousands of managers across Russia to develop their business understanding and skills.
- Arab OU – In 2003 the Arab OU achieved accreditation from the Open University’s Centre for Inclusion and Collaborative Partnerships, enabling many thousands of students and teachers in the Arab world to access management education of the highest calibre.
- Amity University – the leading education group of India is working with the OU to deliver the MBA and BA (Hons) Business Management to improve thousands of peoples' business skills in India and beyond.
The Open University and the BBC co-produce a number of programmes every year to support courses, and to inform and entertain the public.