The Department of Strategy and Marketing (DSM) is a vibrant hub for research and teaching in the key business disciplines of marketing and strategic management.
The Department is home to the Social and Responsible Marketing Research Cluster.
DSM Research focus
||Business Capabilities and Models
- Corporate political activity
- Corporate social responsibility
- Multi National Corporations and Internationalisation
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Big data teams
- Big data and sustainability
- Dynamic Capabilities and Ambidexterity
|Social and Responsible Marketing
||Advertising and e-Marketing
||Business to Business Marketing
- Social marketing
- Marketing ethics
- Marketing and sustainability
- Marketing and sustainability
- Culture and Heritage marketing
- Service failure and recovery
- Innovation in SMEs and home based businesses
- Relationship Management
DSM Academic Publications
- Akhtar, Pervaiz; Frynas, Jedrzej George; Mellahi, Kamel and Ullah, Subhan (2019). Big data-savvy teams’ skills, big data-driven actions and business performance. British Journal of Management (In Press).
- Ko, Wai Wai and Liu, Gordon (2019). How Information Technology Assimilation Promotes Exploratory and Exploitative Innovation in the Small- and Medium-Sized Firm Context: The Role of Contextual Ambidexterity and Knowledge Base. Journal of Product Innovation Management (Early Access).
- Daniel, Elizabeth Di Domenico, MariaLaura and Nunan, Daniel (2018). Virtual Mobility and the Lonely Cloud: Theorizing the Mobility-Isolation Paradox for Self-Employed Knowledge-Workers in the Online Home-Based Business Context. Journal of Management Studies, 55(1) pp. 174–203.
- Mal, Carmen Iuliana; Davies, Gary and Diers-Lawson, Audra (2018). Through the looking glass: the factors that influence consumer trust and distrust in brands. Psychology & Marketing, 35(12) pp. 936–947.
- Abolhasani, Morteza ; Oakes, Steve and Oakes, Helen (2017). Music in advertising and consumer identity: The search for Heideggerian authenticity. Marketing Theory, 17(4) pp. 473–490.
- García-García, Raquel; García-Canal, Esteban and Guillén, Mauro F. (2017). Rapid internationalization and long-term performance: The knowledge link. Journal of World Business, 52 pp. 97–110.
Full details of DSM research publications can be found on Open Research Online (ORO) and via our staff pages.
DSM PhD Students
Members of DSM supervise PhD students researching varied aspects of strategy and marketing. Full-time PhD students are located close to their supervisors and are encouraged to participate in the life of the department.
Informed by our research, our teaching draws on OUBS’ distinctive practice-based learning approach to produce a range of modules in strategy and marketing. These modules include those that contribute to OUBS’ Undergraduate and Postgraduate qualifications, including our triple accredited MBA and informal free learning available on OpenLearn.
Free Modules on OpenLearn
Contact the Department for Strategy and Marketing
For all department-related enquiries, please contact us.
For all other enquiries, including student and alumni, contact the Business School.